Friday, April 04, 2008

Signs of Spring


Finally.

Signs of spring.

While walking through a remnant prairie is Branch County on Tuesday I was buffeted by cold winds and pelted with sleet. But the sound in a nearby wetland was unmistakable. Frogs. Amidst the western chorus frogs, Pseudacris triseriata, which sound like many fingers run along many combs, I heard my namesake - the spring peeper, Pseudacris crucifer (or "Pcrucifer" for short).

The second sign of spring came yesterday, Thursday, in the cackle and roar of a grass fire. This particular fire was set by me and several of my colleagues to stimulate native grasses that had been planted and to set back the non-native grasses and weeds.

In the garden the tulips and daffodils are up but not blooming. We have a few crocuses in bloom, but fewer than last year. They do not seem to find our garden amenable to naturalizing.

One new sign this spring: a "For Sale" sign in the front yard. Now all we need is a spring buyer.

1 comment:

Jane Marie said...

That fire looks awfully close to the sign. I hope the burn went well. Good luck on the sale of the house.